On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:27:04AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:14:28AM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:05:52PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > the xcf would have told me almost everything that i needed -- but i did
> > not ask for that.
> The xcf files (from a previous try) are there, under:
> http://www.aracnet.com/~patman/gimp/

> > i think that what you would like to do will be more easily accomplished
> > if you mask only the upper layer.  what ever pixels are not transparent
> > will block the same pixels from the layer below.
> I think that is what I've been trying to do. It should make it easier to
> fix up the resulting image if I can get all the data (multiple layers and
> masks) into one xcf file. The method I have is working, but it is not easy
> to fix up the result.
what is stopping you from working with only one image?

> > you can make whatever color adjustments to the color of the snow
> > background on the lower layer (the levels tool is really nice for this)
> > and handle the color of the puppy in the masked layer.
> yes ... I am also using ufraw plug in for white balance / color adjustment
> and exposure setting before editing in gimp.
whatever works for you.

> > the way to access the image part of a masked layer is to use the mouse
> > to select the image icon in the Layers dialog.  there is a menu in that
> > dialog that allows you to see the mask in the image as well.
> > the things that you are doing in this image are very much like the
> > tutorial i have that makes the sky nicer.  one masked layer and two
> > separate color changes to the image (or a complete replacement of the
> > sky, even) is the simplest way to handle that.
> guess you mean:
> http://carol.gimp.org/gimp2/photography/sky/replace/
could be.  i am finding it difficult to look at my old tutorials.

> The part I am having trouble figuring out would be the "complete
> replacement of the sky" technique. I need to add a portion of another
> (darker) image, ideally via some layer mask.
if you add your original layer to the ones i put together for you, you
should have all you need to make it look better.

the mask i used is the hue layer in hsv decomposition.  i used the
paintbrush to make the mask black where it should be black and white
where it should be white -- meaning, the decomposition did not work
entirely to make the mask the way i wanted it.

i am curious to know what kept you working on the images separately.