On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:06:27PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:27:04AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:14:28AM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > > On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:05:52PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > the xcf would have told me almost everything that i needed -- but i did
> > > not ask for that.
> >
> > The xcf files (from a previous try) are there, under:
> >
> > http://www.aracnet.com/~patman/gimp/
> >
> http://carol.gimp.org/files/example.xcf.gz
> > > i think that what you would like to do will be more easily accomplished
> > > if you mask only the upper layer.  what ever pixels are not transparent
> > > will block the same pixels from the layer below.
> >
> > I think that is what I've been trying to do. It should make it easier to
> > fix up the resulting image if I can get all the data (multiple layers and
> > masks) into one xcf file. The method I have is working, but it is not easy
> > to fix up the result.
> >
> what is stopping you from working with only one image?

That is what I've been trying to figure out!

> > > you can make whatever color adjustments to the color of the snow
> > > background on the lower layer (the levels tool is really nice for this)
> > > and handle the color of the puppy in the masked layer.
> >
> > yes ... I am also using ufraw plug in for white balance / color adjustment
> > and exposure setting before editing in gimp.
> >
> whatever works for you.

I don't think it's possible to do this with a jpg, at least it is more
limited in range of exposure values (AFAIUI), the raw has more
information, and you can adjust exposure levels (to some degree) with no
loss of detail.

> if you add your original layer to the ones i put together for you, you
> should have all you need to make it look better.
> the mask i used is the hue layer in hsv decomposition.  i used the
> paintbrush to make the mask black where it should be black and white
> where it should be white -- meaning, the decomposition did not work
> entirely to make the mask the way i wanted it.
> i am curious to know what kept you working on the images separately.

I got it now ... I just had to put both my under and over exposed images
in separate layers, add masks too each, and copy the threshold
(black/white image with some gaussian blur) and its inverted version into
the masks.

I still have to muck with the masks separately and copy them in again when
they are changed - I'm playing some with gaussian blur ranges, and affect
on the final photo.

Thanks ...

-- Patrick Mansfield