On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 05:38:02PM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 12:06:27PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:
> > >
> > what is stopping you from working with only one image?
>
> That is what I've been trying to figure out!

xcf is the gimps native file format.  it is useful for saving layers,
selections, paths, masks and maybe more.  it in itself is only useful
for gimp.

if you save your working copy in xcf and flatten the whole thing when
finished and save as jpg, then you can easily go back and edit it from
the xcf.

most of the graphics art applications (no matter what the parent
operating system is) have a format like this.  i cut the portion where
you understood that jpg does not handle layers.  with the xcf you can
save the finished copy as jpg, png, gif, xpm or any of a number of
formats, and still go back and work on it if you think it needs
improving.

carol