Akkana Peck wrote:

For a cartoon, you start with sharp edges and fairly even colors,
so the problems aren't the same as with digital photos.
Although you can't get more information than was present
in the small image, are there techniques that let you scale
up while preserving edges, so for instance a thin sharp black
line becomes a thick sharp black line rather than a thick blurry
grey line? Scaling up in steps didn't seem to make much difference.
I thought perhaps indexing to a small number of colors might help,
but I still got too many greys on the edges of the blacks.
By playing with Levels I was able to sharpen up the scaled images
somewhat, but I wonder if there are better ways. Any tips?

Try a series where you scale up a small amount (5-10%) and then use unsharp mask to crisp up the edge after each upsize iteration. It will probably take some playing around to get the right mix of sharpening.

Good luck!

jc