JC Dill wrote:
Tom Williams wrote:
A friend of mine took a bunch of photos using her Vivitar 3.2MP digital camera with the camera set at 640x480 resolution. She wanted 4x6 prints of those and printed a bunch that came out looking all pixelated and basically like crap. Since then, we've set her camera back to the max resolution since previous photos taken at this resolution printed fine as prints.

My question: is there anyway to use Gimp to scale the 640x480 images so they look as best as possible (no pixelation if possible) as 4x6 prints? I've scaled the images to 4"x6" and have increased pixels per inch and have run many filters with no real success. Or is my friend basically stuck with what she has?

You can resize the image up in "steps" to smooth out the pixelization and rough edges as you resize it, but you will never regain the missing detail that was not recorded when the photo was taken at such a low resolution so the resulting image will be soft. (Sharpening will help some, but not a lot.)

Thanks to you and the others who responded with the very useful info! I'll give it a try and see what happens. :)