Gert Blij wrote:

>I want to cut out part of an image (rectangular, round or oval, polygon,
>etc) and copy and paste it to somewhere else. How do I do that?

The instructions Andrew provided will work nicely within the same image
window or multiple images within the GIMP. Unfortunately, if you are
attempting to copy a selection in the GIMP and paste it elsewhere (for
instance, an oval portion of an image into a Word document or
something), it will most probably not work. As far as I know, this is
very dependent on the actual platform and applications involved.

I only say this because I want to clarify what you mean by 'paste it
somewhere else'.

Harish