Thanks Harish,

I tried that, but it doesn't work. Although The Gimp clearly shows the cut
out as an oval, with the rest of the picture gone, when I copy and paste it
into OOo Writer it pastes as a rectangular picture (i.e. *not* a rectangular
bounding box with an oval picture), with borders the size of the outermost
points of the oval.