On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:19:56PM -0600, Eric P wrote:
> Maybe this deserves a bug report, but something I've noticed in
> 2.3.6 is that it always alerts me that a 'A File Named ... Already
> Exists' upon saving any file regardless whether is truly exists or not.
> Can anyone else confirm this?  Just create a new document and save
> and see what it says.

the fact that you noticed this bug means (to me) that you are really
giving this file selector a work out.

for me, i get that warning everytime i type in a new location to that
dialog.  like i am working in /home/carol/images and want to save
something in /tmp so i type /tmp/image.xcf into the file selector to
save time and button pushing madness.

what i don't like, and i am finding it difficult to articulate (as you
will soon see, perhaps) is that when i am finally have the damn thing in
the directory i want to make the save in and i start to type the first
few characters, it gives me a list of files that are already named like
that.  the default response is to give you opportunity to save a
different image with the same name.  more useful to me would be to be
able to save a new image and have the file selector understand that and
fill in the first few characters sequentially.

what could i call that?  like if you made it work with the <tab> so
pressing <tab> there would fill in similar characters but would stop
before suggesting saving over an existing image.  what would that be

it makes me wonder what the gtk+ developers are doing that they need to
save over existing files more often than making new ones.