Thanks Karin,

It has, as it works as you said. If I save the new file (as a gif image) I
can indeed insert that file in to an OOo Writer document with the
transparent background. Wonderful :-)

Two further questions if I may:

1
Is it possible to omit the "file save" step, iow copy the image from the
paste into the new file and paste it into a document. When I tried it I
still got the complete rectangle without the transparent  background and

2
> You then need to select "anchor layer" from the pulldown
> "layer" folder, once the layer is anchored save it, and away
> you go. You can repeat this step as many times as you like on
> the one image, just remeber to anchor your layers and save
> after each step encase you need to go backwards.
> Because after you have anchored a layer you can't seperate it out.

After I did that I copied and pasted the image into a document and it
worked, except that the transparent background was black. Is there any way
around this?

TIA
Gert