Joao> I do not understand your point

I wasn't trying to make a point, just trying to figure out how things
work.

Joao> A path is an independent image element - It does not "show" in the
Joao> final rendering of the images at all.

Joao> It is just a template, like a ruler, for stroking, or filling, or
Joao> making selections.  So, once you make a path, you can strike its
Joao> countour in any layer you like. Just select the desired layer in
Joao> the layers dialog, the desired path in the paths dialog, and
Joao> edit->stroke path.

Ah.  Thank you.  I think I get it.  Actual image elements live in
layers, as I understood it.  Templates that don't show up in the image
itself don't live in layers.  That makes perfect sense (hope I've got it
right).

Thanks, and thanks also to Carol, Doug and Michael.

--
        --alex

        http://alexfeldman.org