I'm using a the Windows XP home version.  I am using Windows Explorer to browse the files using the thumbnail view.  I see an image worth investigating, click on it, and The Gimp loads.   I process the image.  Save a copy and close both images down.

Repeat the process.  After doing this any number of times, I end up with 15-20 menus for The Gimp and eventually the machines bogs out.  I have to routinely close Gimp menus in order to get just one instance.  This takes some time and The Gimp doesn't like it.

I wanted to know if I could have The Gimp open and still select images within the thumbnail view of Windows Explorer without causing new instances of the program to open.

Many thanks for the informative replies.

Page
UK

On 2/9/06, Bob Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Friday, February 10, 2006 7:33 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Page Sands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm new to the list and I've been using gimp for several months. I
> like browse image thumbnails from within Windows (I know I) and I
> think I'm inadvertently causing multiple instances of The Gimp to run
> in the background as I can easily end up with 15-20 Gimp menus.

Could you please explain further? If you are simply using the Windows file
manager, with View|Thumbnails set so that images show as thumbnails, then
the GIMP itself should not be activated. Maybe you are referring to
something else? Which version of Windows?

If you mean that you actually open an image for editing with GIMP, and
*then* you get a new instance of the GIMP each time you open a new image,
you need to change the file associations so that you use
gimp-win-remote.exe.

--
Bob Long

Page Sands