Although I've been a member of this list since June last year this is
only my third post. It's just that good a read.

Anyway, I am trying to create a relatively small (approx 20~30px across)
circle. I can make the selection just fine, but when converting it to a
path (for future use), the accuracy is a bit off. It's not so much of a
circle anymore, it's more bean shaped. But, hang on, whilst hovering
over the "Selection to Path" button it tells me I can press shift to get
"Advanced options".

Whoa there. They're not advanced options, they're uber-extra-super
advanced options. Do you need a degree to use them?

What exactly do I need to alter to encourage my path to more accurately
follow the selection boundaries?

Thanks very much for any help you can give.