Hi all,

I hate having to bother this list with tiresome compile problems, but here goes:

Earlier this week, I installed 2.3.7 under Ubuntu (Breezy). At the
moment, I am trying to do the same under Fedora Core 4, but I am
having less success. In particular, I keep getting this error message
from configure:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.8.8... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
*** that the run-time linker is not finding GTK+ or finding the wrong
*** version of GTK+. If it is not finding GTK+, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location  Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
***
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

Initially, I installed 2.8.12 in /usr/local, as is my preference for
newer, non-packaged versions. When that didn't work, I bit the bullet
and removed the latest official package, 2.6.10, with sudo rpm -e
--nodeps gtk2, and installed 2.8.12 in the default location, but that
still didn't solve the problem.

FWIW, I added /usr/local to /etc/ld.so.conf, and, yes, I run sudo
ldconfig after installing the libraries. Something is going wrong, but
what?

I was able to install gtk2 2.8.12 in /usr/local and compile gimp 2.3.7
without this problem under Ubuntu, and without having to uninstall the
older official releases, and I'd like to be able to do the same under
Fedora.

--
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam