> Von: Robert Citek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Feb 28, 2006, at 12:20 AM, Manish Singh wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 12:01:05AM -0600, Robert Citek wrote:
> >> Would you consider Gimpshop a successful fork?
> >
> > Considering Gimpshop can't even keep their own website online, I'd
> > say no.
> Then why the fuss?

Because you seem to be discussing it.

> But enough trash talk about Gimpshop.  Tell me how wonderful this
> forum is. What makes this forum shine?

Well, I'd be more happy to answer this if you drop "forum" and use "list"
instead. The most shiny thing is that you got a lot of people here who are
experienced with both GIMP and communicating over a mailing list (the latter
is something that's quickly becoming rare).

> Tell me how this forum recruits new users/volunteers to test software,

The development releases and their features get mentioned if someone asks a
question that touches this topic.
> file bug reports,

Bug reports are referenced, and users are encouraged to search bugzilla or
file bugs for things that seem to be strange.

> and write docs and tutorials.

We reference our docs, and there has the occasional hint to contribute to

> That is, how does this forum grow the gimp.org community and
> enable it to blossom?

Well, first the list does exist and it is found among the first results when
searching for various terms related to gimp. That's one aspect for
"blossom". I don't see a mailing list as the primary way for growing a
community, though. Maybe there are some papers about this.