JC Dill wrote:
Michael Schumacher wrote:
JC Dill wrote:

So when someone asks you to tell them how wonderful "this forum" is,
you can assume they are inviting comparison with all other forums on the
topic, not just other mailing lists.

Well, this is a mailing list. Anyone who uses it via a different access
vector should be aware of this - mailing lists, like newsgroups, have
more formal requirements to the message style than e.g. a web forum.

For example: proper quoting, character encoding, addressing, ...

All of that is irrelevant to the context of how "forum" was used. It was used as an umbrella term to include "this list" as well as "all other lists, forums, usenet groups, etc." that could be compared with "this list".

I think we have beat this horse sufficiently. It is dead, please let's move on to relevant subjects..

--
Until later, Geoffrey

War never solved anything, well, except slavery, fascism and communism