Michael Schumacher wrote:
Unfortunately you excluded the HIG issue in your reply. As you point out,
this is most likely becoming the source for an article about the GIMP GUI.
Should it then be that easy to get to a totally different interpretation of
your message?

I doubt that someone who doesn't know the HIG and the changes in the GIMP
GUI that were caused by following these guidelines is able to understand
your message correctly.

The one issue you're complaining about is the file chooser - I know why
you're doing this, I did so myself initially (I have changed my opinion in
the meantime). But you made it sound like following HIG is a bad thing in
general - I think it wasn't your intention, but as I wrote before, you
avoided to give a straight answer to this yet.

Hi Michael,

The HIG in itself is not a bad thing "in general". MacOS has one, KDE has one, Windows most likely has one. But it should be interpreted as guidelines and above all, as a work in progress itself. When an interface that results of several years of interaction user-developer differs from the HIG that has just a few years of existence, maybe the interface should be changed, maybe the HIG should be changed, or maybe to quote Captain Barbossa:
- "the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules".

Best regards,

Olivier.

HTH,
Michael