Simon Roberts wrote:
Hi All,

I'm really sorry this is probably a dumb/rtfm type question but I guess
I don't know enough to know what to look for.

I simply want to make a selection transparent. I can make the selection
OK, but when I click the little red eraser thingy (for which the
tooltip says "Erase to background or transparency" I can't make it make
the selection transparent no matter what I try.

Can anyone tell me what I should be doing please?

Many thanks,

Try Layer->Transparency->Add alpha channel.
And then just cut your selection (ctrl-X).

Best regards,