On Friday 10 March 2006 19:49, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm really sorry this is probably a dumb/rtfm type question but I guess
> I don't know enough to know what to look for.
> I simply want to make a selection transparent. I can make the selection
> OK, but when I click the little red eraser thingy (for which the
> tooltip says "Erase to background or transparency" I can't make it make
> the selection transparent no matter what I try.
> Can anyone tell me what I should be doing please?

1. Invoke the Layers dialog. (Dialogs -> Layers).

2. Right click the layer that you wish to make transparent and select "Add
Layer Mast". Select "Layer's alpha channel" in the dialog that pops up.

3. Select the layer mask (that's the square to the right in the layer).

4. Select the "Fill with a colour" tool from the GIMP's toolbox.

5. Select a black colour.

6.  Make sure that you are filling with the foreground colour, and filling the
entire selection.

7. Click the mouse inside the selection in the image window.

8. Right click on the layer in the layers dialog and select "Apply Layer

Hope it helps.

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bottom 5%.