On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Sven Neumann wrote:

> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:19:29 +0100
> From: Sven Neumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Luca Casagrande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] ECW file support.
>
> Hi,
>
> Luca Casagrande <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Is there a way to enable ECW support in The Gimp?
>
> May I ask you to explain what ECW support is?

>From what I can tell ECW (Enhanced Compression Wavelet)  is a lossey
wavelet compression scheme (either that or Extreme Championship Wrestling,
I hate acronyms).  Due to the high compression rates it seems to have
gained some suppport in fields such as GIS (mapping) where images can be
extremely large.

I managed to find a similar questions in the list archives:
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2001-May/014762.html

There does seem to be a library for ECW support but a bit of searching
suggests it may not be GPL compatible, but maybe proprietary plugins are
possible with the GNU Image Manipulation Program?  (Since photoshop
filters are supported using PSPI I guess they must be possible but I
imagine the gimp developers would not want to encourage more proprietary
software.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org