Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
I'm trying to remove isolated black pixels in large white areas of a tiff image.
  The image is quite large and is black and white only.

The despeckle filter (Filters->Enhance->Despeckle) doesn't seem to do anything,
except that it changes the whole image to white if the white slider is set to
256, and makes the black areas much larger is the black slider is set to -1.
I think you might be using the wrong tool here. I would try using a color correction curve to take out the noise. Put a node at 50% to keep your 3/4 tones and shadows safe, then take the extreme highlight point (the upper right node) 2 or 3% to the left. That should take out the noise in your white areas.