Sorry I confused eveybody by not including the answers
that I'd been given in my further questions.

Now, two further questions - not specifically The Gimp
but related:

Can I write using Linux, vCDs and video DVDs and can I
write my photos to DVD as I can with XP (and Sonic)?

How much space is all this likely to take up? I have a
65GB HDD on my laptop which is already half full. If
The Gimp will do everything that Adobe Photoshop
Elements and Canon Zoom Browser will do then I might
dump XP or run dual boot.