Ben Conley wrote:
Some friends of mine are trying to make a short Star Wars movie, and need lightsaber graphics. I intend to use GIMP to add it in frame by frame (joyously fun, I know) but don't know how to do it (a problem, to be sure). So does anyone here have any ideas/experience in making fairly good looking glowing lines?

There was a perl plugin for that in the old time (gimp1):
You may find some discussion about the subject here:

Another one is a script-fu. Gimp2 version can be found here

Another solution was shown here: blate-roto (a script-fu also)

I cannot tell you which one is best. I never tried them.

Best regards,