Ben Conley wrote:
Some friends of mine are trying to make a short Star Wars movie, and need lightsaber graphics. I intend to use GIMP to add it in frame by frame (joyously fun, I know) but don't know how to do it (a problem, to be sure). So does anyone here have any ideas/experience in making fairly good looking glowing lines?

There was a perl plugin for that in the old time (gimp1):
http://www.jfedor.org/misc/
You may find some discussion about the subject here:
http://www.gimptalk.com/topic.php?a=v&t=297&f=9

Another one is a script-fu. Gimp2 version can be found here
http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=6046

Another solution was shown here: blate-roto (a script-fu also)
http://www.baudalign.com/lee/gimplightsabre.html

I cannot tell you which one is best. I never tried them.

Best regards,

Olivier