On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:01:18AM -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:
> When I start Gimp 2.3.7 it starts with a paintbrush. I would rather
> it started with the rectangular select tool. Somewhere in
> .gimp-2.3 is a value that sets this option I suspect. But I
> haven't found it yet.
>
> Someone please give me a hint.

well, i spent the morning here reading the man pages and looking at all
of the .gimp-2.3/*rc files and even searching recent irc logs because i
remembered that there had been chat about default something there.

in the irc log, the chat was about how to change the default brush --
not tool.

the manpages do not say a thing, so don't waste your time there.

right now, i am playing with a combination of Preferences.  this
combination seems to work:

File/Preferences/Tool Options -- make certain that the tool you want
active for each time you start GIMP is active and push the "Save Tool
Options Now" button and also that the "Save Tool Options on exit" toggle
is toggled off.

while you are at it, you can make and save the positions of your docks
and tabs by doing a similar thing with the Window Management
Preferences.

one thing i found interesting about the Window Management Preferences,
is that when you save the current position of the windows and docks and
tabs, you also save the current position of the Preferences Dialog, so
make sure that is in the location that you always want *it* to open up
in as well before pushing any window management buttons in gimp
preferences.  (it was kind of a funny read, as far as *rc files go....)

let me (us) know how it goes....

carol