On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:04:01PM -0700, kenquad wrote:

> Actually I've never used Photoshop, but I hear from a DTP expert that it has
> a function called  "clipping paths" which can be used with an EPS (sorry I
> said TIFF in error) to tell your layout software (e.g. Quark, Scribus) which
> areas to set transparent.  Thus far I've used transparent PNGs for this
> effect but it's not particularly reliable.

gimp turns eps into pixel images.  inkscape is probably the best option
for what you need.

that being said, i have done this thing (that i think you are asking
about) with a combination of selections and merging the union of a path
with a selection and then making a new path of the resulting selection a
few times for when i needed to do this.

right click in the face of the path dialog and you can find the things i
mentioned.

carol