Shawn Willden wrote:

Well, if you're a non-gui fool, I'd suggest a non-gui tool. I'd use imagemagick, something like:

        convert infile.bmp -resize 500x500 -quality 75 outfile.jpg

ImageMagick uses the file extension on the output to decide what type of image compression to use, so it will save as a JPEG. The -resize option by default will not stretch your image so the above will resize your image to be at most 500 pixels on each side. Finally the -quality is used by the JPEG compressor and takes a number between 0 and 100. Smaller numbers give you worse images, but 75 is a good tradeoff which gives you good image quality and good compression.

You can easily play with the numbers to get larger or smaller image sizes.
awesome

If you do want to use the GIMP (certainly not a bad choice), you should use Image->Scale Image to shrink the resolution down, then Save As and enter a file name with a .jpg extension. The GIMP will then prompt you for a quality level and if you click the "Show Preview in image window" you can see the effects of dragging it back and forth, and you can also see the file size right undernath the quality slider.
even more awesome

Have fun,
I most certainly did. Cheers, Shawn.

Mark Sargent