Hi Steven,

Sorry that my reply is getting a bit messy but outlook on windows isn't
very well in quoting text...

To get the latest version depends on your distribution. You can get the
source tarball and compile, fetching any updated dependancies yourself.
But a distribution like Debian is likely to have packages already built
and available as part of 'unstable'.

Btw, since your images are scanned from film, perhaps they are already
somewhat noisy? Did you try to reduce noise, or perhaps increase
sharpness / reduce blur / etc, before scaling the image?
Just a thought - but it seems to me that (down)scaling a noisy image
will give worse results than downscaling a cleaner image.

Another option would be to try scaling the images with imagemagick. It
might already have lanczos scaling and other scaling options built-in
with the version installed (or installable as pre-built package) with
your distribution. You can even write a small shell-script to scale all
images in some directory, if that's your thing.

Luck,

--Tim