On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 11:41:27AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:57:08PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I have a simple line drawing that is in shades of light grey against a
> > > white ground. My aim is to increase the grey scale range from 000 199
> > > to 000 to 255.
> > >
> > > Am I just being clumbsy, or is there a better approach?
> > >
> > try using the levels tool.
>
> Thanks, Carol, I did as you suggested. It works, although the result
> was unsatisfactory because the original image distribution of greys
> was uneven, and so the result was spotty (gaps in lines, artifacts,
> etc.). I guess I try to draw a new image myself.
>
> Please excuse the appended question, but is there a way I could use
> the original as a kind of template to produce a hard line clean
> version in black? I could then blur it a bit for a nice result.

use the original to make a mask.

it has been a long while since i worked with scans, but iirc, i used the
levels to get rid of the noise.  after that, the threshold tool.
blurring the black and white result of the thresholded image will add
the grays back nicely.  invert this layer.

then stack first a solid background color and then over that, whatever
color you want your lines to be (black looks like what you want) then
use the mask you made on this layer.

carol