Despite my rank-amateur-status, I downloaded the source package and
successfully completed the "configure" stage.

However, I crashed at Square One of "make" with the following message:

| /home/felixk/downloads/gimp-help-2-0.10/stylesheets/plainhtml.xsl
| line 7 element import xsl:import : unable to load
| sl make: *** [stamps/html.cs.stamp] Error 5

It looked to me as though this step should have been done while I am

If this is the case, then is the following entry in the INSTALL file of
gimp-help-2-0.10 relevant:

| By default we do not allow the XSLT processor to attempt to download
| external resources. If you have a fast internet connection, it may be
| useful to allow xsltproc to fetch DTDs or entities over the network?:

For the record - I do _not_ have a fast internet connection.  I use a 56k
modem and do most of my work offline.

Felix Karpfen
Felix Karpfen