Gach, hit reply, instead of reply to all.

Nutshell version: no, I'd not seen this, yes, so far as I can make out,
I'm doing what the tutorial says, but no, I don't get any line.

I get two crosshairs and a line joining the two as I move the mouse
while holding shift (I can constrain the line to certain angles with
control too) but when I release shift, the whole thing goes away.

Foreground and background are both set to contrasting colors compared
to the current image color.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Simon

--- Marco Wessel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Did you read the actual straight line tutorial? It's here:
>
> http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Straight_Line/
>
> It details exactly what to do, step-by-step.
>

> Marco
>

> On May 12, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Simon Roberts wrote:
>
> > I'm feeling particularly useless today, I'm pretty much a total
> > beginner with GIMP, but I can't believe this is as hard as I seem
> > to be
> > making it.
> >
> > I want to draw a straight line. I'm using Gimp 2.2.4
> >
> > I try the paintbrush, I have a color selected, and I can draw a
> > squiggly line. The help says that holding shift down will make all
> > these tools constrained to straight lines, but mine doensn't draw
> > anything. It looks like it's trying to do measuement or something.
> >
> > I try the path tool (which I can't claim to understand) and then
> > try to
> > "stroke" the path. I get polygons while I'm messing about, I can
> also
> > get curves, but I don't seem to be able to get an actual line that
> > stays on the page.
> >
> > What I _want_ is a straight line, constrained to horizontal or
> > vertical, drawn with the caligraphic brush (so it has a chiselled
> end)
> > and using the "fade out" option, so it disappears smoothly over a
> > distance.
> >
> > Anyone want to tell me what's so obvious that I've missed it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Simon

"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a
man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz