Simon Roberts wrote:
Gach, hit reply, instead of reply to all.

Nutshell version: no, I'd not seen this, yes, so far as I can make out,
I'm doing what the tutorial says, but no, I don't get any line.

I get two crosshairs and a line joining the two as I move the mouse
while holding shift (I can constrain the line to certain angles with
control too) but when I release shift, the whole thing goes away.

Did you press the left mouse button before releasing the shift-key, as the tutorial specifies?

Foreground and background are both set to contrasting colors compared
to the current image color.

Any thoughts?