..on Wed, May 24, 2006 at 09:34:25PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2006, Paul Bloch wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 23:55:17 -0400
> > From: Paul Bloch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: GIMPUser <Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>
> > Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp bundled with Computer Arts
> >
> > Hello,
> > So I don't know if everyone already knows this but I've seen Gimp bundled
> > with Computer Arts magazine's (computerarts.co.uk) CD a few times now.  For
> > those of you who don't know Computer Arts is a very popular design magazine
> > with awesome tutorials. Has anybody heard back from them or designers that
> > have used the software? I'm willing to follow up and ask them about it.  It
> > would be great to hear from a large base of pro designers about Gimp.
>
> "Pro designers" you mispelled "pro developers with patches or lots of
> sponsorship money"  :P
>
> I'd be very surprised if readers of Computer Arts magazine had any new
> comments that haven't already been discussed on the mailing list or
> discussed.
>
> Did they include any kind of a review?  Based on their past comments I'd
> expect lots of criticism for not being more like photoshop.  Generally
> they do complain about programs for not copying or doing better than the
> market leaders.
>
> They probably also neglected to mention features like PSPI which allows
> Photoshop plugins to be used, and didn't mention the photoshop style
> keybindings which can be found in psmenurc.

Along with valid criticisms, like that of Gimp's focus model under,
which (by default) continues to frustrate those that both have and haven't had
experience with Photoshop. You know, where clicking on your maximised image
instantly 'hides'
the most critical component of application functionality, the Tools panel
itself.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to arrogantly flip-off criticisms from Computer Arts
magazine.
If they are including the Gimp on their Magazine CD, then all the better
for us. They don't pay money to host content on their CD to purposely depreciate
it. If they fail to neglect certain features it's because they aren't
present enough to their writers to come into consideration. The last thing a
technology
journalist wants is to look the fool before their readers.

Furthermore their criticisms are important whether you like them or not.
They have influence on the propogation of the Gimp amongst users
otherwise unaware of it's presence altogether, free software hundreds of people
have worked on.

Regards,

Julian

--