If you are indeed editing an Indexed image, you may wish to leave it in Indexed Mode and open the "Dialogs->Color Map" window. This will allow you to individually change each of the colors in the image. This will be tedious if you have more than a couple dozen colors but if you have only a few (for example, a cartoon graphic), this is a quick and easy way to change the colors.