The link you sent seems to be non-existent anymore. However, your suggestion of ImageMagick was perfect. I never realised that ImageMagick supportted .xcf files.

Alan Horkan wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, B.W.H. van Beest wrote:

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:18:25 +0200
From: B.W.H. van Beest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: [Gimp-user] save image to jpeg format in batch mode

I would like to create a jpg image from a gimp xsf-file, but in batch

(I assume you meant to type XCF)

mode. (for instance, to have it as a rule in a Makefile)
I have been struggling with this for quite some time, but all attempt
have failed.  Browsing the web did not yield workabale references or
examples. It seems that info on script-fu all is outdated?

You might want to consider Davids batch processor

Using ImageMagick might also be worth considering.