Thanks, but for an outer glow, I much preffer to use the scriptfu
shadow; Make the color white and change the x and y offset to 0. This
works very will for me.... and it is quick :)

> BTW, does anyone know how to make an 'inner glow' on a shape?

I posted a tutorial on GIMPtalk which covers shadows and glows. It
doesn't cover 'inner glows' specifically (that is left as an exercise
for the user) but it might give you a nudge in the right direction. It
might not even be the best approach, I was trying to come up with a
methodology which was easy to describe and to remember while still
being flexible. The easiest solution to shadows and glows is probably
Iicci's "Layer Effects" plug-in but I wanted some visual feedback of
what I was doing (as opposed to just enterring numbers). Like most of
the tutorials (and scripts) that I've written, since writing it I have
learned so much that I feel I should rewrite it incorporating what I
have learned.

Tutorial link:

http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Shadows-And-Glows-3-d-Effects-4624-1.html