I do all smooth lines with select menu:

For example if you have a hand path - you can then make a selection
from it (from Path Tab).
You can allways save your selections to channels (From selection Tab)
so you can leter to channel to selection (from channel Tab)
Then make a selection from the curved path (that you have inside the
hand) - this selection should  bigger than (at leaset 100px bigger in
this example) the hand. Then from menus Select-Feather (for exapmle
100px) and add the darker color to it. Then get again you hand
selection, then Select->Invert and cut out all outside of the hand.

It's simple to show but hard to describe.

On 7/3/06, A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 07:17 -0700, saulgoode wrote:
> A, I am not sure if the following produces the effect you desire, but
> it should be easy enough to test it out.
> * Activate the QuickMask and stroke your path with a WHITE pen.
> * Deactivate QuickMask.
> * Use the Blend tool to fill the selection with the appropriate
> gradient. You will probably wish to set the Shape to "Shaped (angular)".

Thanks - that almost works.

First problem is that the shaped (angular) gradient is also bi-linear.
So what I did was try it twice on two layers, once from low to middle
and once from middle to high. Then chopped out half of each.
(Since I actually have a lower layer filled two colours, the chop
out was, luckily, easy to do using an intersection colour selection)
Unfortunately, the result was still pretty much unusable.

Here's a hand in the picture I'm creating, done this way.

If I can't find a better way I'll use that one - since it's way better
than what I can do by hand, but hopefully someone knows a way to get
a perfect result.

However, thanks for the QuickMask bit - I never knew about it before!
Very useful!