VytautasP schreef:
On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
disease after an intensive week using GIMP.

And make breaks once in a while. Exercise your wrists and eyes during breaks. Walk a bit. Practice yoga.

Yes. It might sound silly, bit it is important advice indeed (I have no experience with yoga though).

I work on computers all day long, and I have never experienced any kind of computer use related pain, except when playing Quake or Tetris: those are exactly the occasions on which I don't take a break every now and then.

Breaks don't have to take long. Often I just walk over the window, have a quick look to see what's happening outside and go back to work.

It's also important to listen to your body: if your hand starts to tingle, it's a message that there's something going wrong and you shouldn't ignore that. Take a break, maybe change your position a bit.

Maybe it can help to grab the mouse less firmly. Maybe you can decrease the mouse's sensitivity to make it easier to do precise work with it. Maybe use a mouse that requires less force to push the buttons.

In many cases it's also a good idea to use the keyboard instead of the mouse as often as possible (learn keyboard shortcuts), but for graphical work that doesn't buy you very much.

Roel Schroeven