one solution to avoid holding the mouse button down is to change your mouse settings so that click is activated.  Thereby when you press and hold the tool is engaged and you merely have to move you mouse around.  Then when the operation is done just click again to unengage the selected tool.  Greatly relieves stress on the wrist. 

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Send Gimp-user mailing list submissions to
gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Gimp-user digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. Re: Feathering and Masks (Asif Lodhi)
2. RE: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (david burzota)
3. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Rikard Johnels)
4. Re:Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Hector Noriega)
5. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (VytautasP)
6. Re: Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease (Michael Schumacher)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 02:22:06 +0500
From: "Asif Lodhi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: Feathering and Masks
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Message-ID:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Hi,
> Message: 3
> From: A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Feathering and Masks
> anyone know something that explains "Feathering" REALLY well?
> ...............................
> Then ... how to turn that into a mask ...

I would suggest that you go through "Grokking the Gimp" at
http://www.gimp-savvy.com/ - that's an excellent book even though some
of the material is rather old. Secondly, I would suggest that you
read Graphics articles at http://www.webreference.com by Wendy Peck
and others. Though those articles are mostly about other tools (no
Gimp stuff) but you will certainly get an idea as to what the graphics
stuff like feathers, masks, etc. is all about. Also, go through the
Gimp Tutorials on Gimp's website.


--
Best,

Asif


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:10:20 -0700
From: "david burzota" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed


Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw
operation with a key on
the keyboard.

It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be
pressing
with a finger on the mouse.

David

>From: Roel Schroeven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
>Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
>Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200
>
>Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schreef:
>>On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
>>>users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
>>>disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with
>>>the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both
>>>my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting

...

>>The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you think
>>of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found in most
>>computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic).
>>The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software.
>>Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.
>
>There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce
>problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user to
>hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's possible
>to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with separate mouse
>clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation -> mouse up" you
>could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".
>
>
>--
>If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood
>on the shoulders of giants. -- Isaac Newton
>
>Roel Schroeven
>
>_______________________________________________
>Gimp-user mailing list
>Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
>https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:43:17 +0200
From: Rikard Johnels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

On Sunday 09 July 2006 08:10, david burzota wrote:
> Another alternative would be to signal the start and end of the draw
> operation with a key on
> the keyboard.
>
> It would require 2 hands, but at least relieve the need to constantly be
> pressing
> with a finger on the mouse.
>
> David
>
> >From: Roel Schroeven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> >Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
> >Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:34:11 +0200
> >
> >Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris schreef:
> >>On Friday 07 July 2006 12:13 am, Hector Noriega wrote:
> >>>Hello,
> >>>
> >>>This might be a common experience (or a well-known fact) among GIMP
> >>>users. I just want to say that I just recovered from De Quervain's
> >>>disease after an intensive week using GIMP. I'm not familiar with
> >>>the new versions of this software, but mine requires keeping both
> >>>my thumb and index finger pressed against the mouse while painting
>
> ...
>
> >>The motive I am writing however is another one: Mr. Noriega, can you
> >> think of a better way of handling painting with the input devices found
> >> in most computers? (i.e. keyboard and mouse - maybe mic).
> >>The GIMP is comunity based, and you can help us build a better software.
> >>Even one that gets ahead the commercial counterparts in some respects.
> >
> >There's one relatively simple change I can think of, that could reduce
> >problems as the one experienced by Hector: instead of requiring the user
> > to hold the mouse button pushed down during a drawing operation, it's
> > possible to signal the start and the end of a drawing operation with
> > separate mouse clicks. I.e. instead of "mouse down -> paint operation ->
> > mouse up" you could do "mouse click -> paint operation -> mouse click".
> >
> >
> >--
> >If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood
> >on the shoulders of giants. -- Isaac Newton
> >
> >Roel Schroeven
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >Gimp-user mailing list
> >Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> >https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Gimp-user mailing list
> Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

But that would induce repetetive ovements of the arms and shoulders as you
lift and move your hands. That is the same type of stress a supermarket clerk
has. And we all know the problems they get...

I think the tablet idea is the most functional alternative to mouse/keyboard.
Maybe combined with left hand on the keyboard (if you are right handed) using
the short cut keys. As little "meta-ctrl-alt" combos as possible to relieve
finger stress

It would be cool to colorcode a keyboard a la the ones available for the video
editing software "Final Cut Pro".

--
         /Rikard

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
email   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
mob: : +46 (0)763 19 76 25
------------------------ Public PGP fingerprint ----------------------------
< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : /lists/gimp-user/attachments/20060709/91202b23/attachment-0001.bin

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:16:39 -0500
From: "Hector Noriega" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:[GIMP-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed


Hi,

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. My message about De
Quervain�s disease-GIMP
connection was not meant to be a complaint about the GIMP or any other
software. I just
wanted to point out two things: 1) that we can definitely end up with
painful, inflamed
tendons after pressing the mouse for several hours non-interrupted,
regardless of the software
we are using and as harmless as a mouse might look and 2) that we
don�t really know how
much is too much as for the pressure and time our wrists/hands can
resist until we actually get
the carpal tunnel syndrome or De Quervain�s disease. I don�t play
computer games, but just like
the few previous times of intensive use of my mouse, I felt naturally
confident that the
numbness in my hand/wrist (after n hours of tension painting and
retouching with GIMP) should
disappear after stretching, relaxing and taking a reasonable rest.
That�s maybe true for one day
of work, but not for 5 days like my case, when I had to paint and
retouch a bunch of old
pictures in one week and GIMP was my first choice. De Quervain�s
disease is subtle and
somehow deceptive: you don�t feel any pain nor any remote trace that
your tendons are
getting inflamed. In the morning of my last day of work, I woke up
with an uncomfortable
sensation in my wrist that I could not call a true pain, but I kept
going anyway and finished my
work. An increasing pain came afterwards, in the next days after using
the GIMP and would not
disappear even with relaxing exercises and long rest. I reached the
point of not being able to
move my right hand. Even so, I still believed the pain would go away
in the next days. I was
wrong, the pain increased and it took me 2 � months to make it
disappear. After the first
month, my doctor even suggested surgery. Fortunately, the
corticosteroid injection, powerful
medication and ice prevented me from investing at least $1500 more in
wrist surgery.

The conclusion : Beware of irresponsible use of the mouse. De
Quervain�s disease is definitely
deceptive and resembles a broken bone: it takes weeks/months to heal.

H. Noriega




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:32:03 +0300
From: VytautasP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [GIMP-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: Hector Noriega <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed


> The conclusion : Beware of irresponsible use of the mouse. De
> Quervain’s disease is definitely
> deceptive and resembles a broken bone: it takes weeks/months to
> heal.
>
> H. Noriega
And it takes 5min break per hour to avoid it.


------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:31:41 +0200
From: Michael Schumacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [GIMP-user] Re: GIMP can induce De Quervain's disease
To: GIMP User
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

VytautasP wrote:

> H. Noriega wrote:

>> The conclusion : Beware of irresponsible use of the mouse. De
>> Quervain’s disease is definitely deceptive and resembles a
>> broken bone: it takes weeks/months to heal.

> And it takes 5min break per hour to avoid it.

There are even tools to remind you of this, e.g.

http://www.workrave.org/


HTH,
Michael

--
GIMP > http://www.gimp.org | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |


------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user


End of Gimp-user Digest, Vol 46, Issue 9
****************************************


How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.
_______________________________________________
Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Reply via email to