Since I installed a new version, the semi-transparency is cut off and I have just plain black on transparent background as if there were no antialiasing, very ugly.

I wrote a script a while back that attempted to address this (available at http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Scripts/de-alias.scm). It works by replacing the non-transparent portion of each layer with the result of merging the layer with the layers below (actually the "projection" of the layers below it).

The image at http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Temp/de-alias.png might help explain the result. An opaque background is expected and that gets "hard-coded" into all non-transparent portions of the GIF. Fully transparent regions remain transparent (but I doubt if this fact would be of much use other than keeping filesize down).

I got it working only to the extent that I needed it, so there may be some bugs in it of which I am unaware. If you let me know whether the script needs modification, I might revisit it.