If you're using XP, simply open the folder which
usually contains your images, click on Tools>Folder
Options, and uncheck the boxes that say Hide
Extensions of known file types, and any others that
may be hiding the extensions you need to see.

Then if you want to open a file with something other
than the Gimp, right click on it and select Open
With...

If you uninstall the Gimp, it might return file
associations to where they were... or it might not.
This is Windows, remember.