Draw a picture of a "shiv"?

I can't imagine GIMP being a problem. That being said, it's linked to libraries that have occasionally had security issues. Both closed and open source rendering libraries have at various times suffered from buffer overflows.

I tend to see resistance to FOSS solutions with these inane arguments that force you to prove a negative. "GIMP (or whatever) could start a nuclear war, can you prove it won't?". I say, then lets make that a testing prerequisite for any app, including the one you want to use.

Simon Davis wrote:

Does anyone have any experience / anecdotal evidence of using the GIMP in prisons or situations where security was of paramount importance. Coming accross resistance and would like to be able to point to precedent.

Thanks a lot,