Ok, so the issue is that open source software might contain some sort of
back door.  I guess you could tell your bosses the following:

* Every bank on earth uses open source software, whether it's openssh,
bind, sendmail, Linux, ant, junit, apache, etc.
* Every fortune 500 company in the world (many of which have *very*
stringent security requirements) also use the above-mentioned open
source software.
* Every large government institution on earth uses this open source
software too.

So yes, while it is possible that some back-door has been written into
an open-source program, it's highly unlikely, especially for large,
well-respected projects like Gimp.

HTH!

Tom Purl