I have a new Linux Slackware 11 partition that does not have a Gnome add-on.
In that partition I successfully ran ./configure, make and make install
against a fresh download of gimp 2.3.12. To get it to run I had to import the
/usr/local/libgimpconfig* files and links from the old Slackware 10.2
partition.  The error I mentioned before did not recur on this partition.

However I cannot start gimp from a console window as before. I have to use an
icon or the run command.

Another anomaly: ./configure couldn't find python so I compiled gimp without
it. python is on the system so perhaps I have a path problem.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting