On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 18:56 +0000, Craig Marshall wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 05:50:37AM +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> Hi Philip,
> > Thanks for the note.
> >
> > The anti-aliasing seemed to help a bit but 1200 res did not seem to make
> > much difference (except for slowing down gimp dramatically) . . would it
> > have something to do with not converting the Frutiger fonts cleanly?
> I am already in over my head. I've had to convert quite a few
> postscript/pdf files to a raster format for various reasons, and I've
> always been lucky with adjusting those anti-aliasing settings that I
> mentioned before. I googled for Frutiger fonts, and saw a linotype
> webpage advertising them, but I know nothing about them, or postscripts
> handling of them.
> Does the pdf show smoothly in a PDF or postscript viewer, e.g. Acrobat,
> gsview? Perhaps a crude, but last-resort way to convert these things
> would be to take a screenshot of those applications showing the PDF,
> then crop, and manipulate as normal.

Viewing with xpdf shows nice crisp fonts; converting with pdftops gives
the same nice crisp fonts when viewed with gv but opening either the pdf
or ps directly in gimp and the "bittyness" is immediately obvious.
Unless there is something else I am missing, I think this is as good as
it gets . .

> Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

I tried using pstoedit to create other vector editing formats but they
DO have problems converting the font.

Thanks anyway,

Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited  (ACN 003 252 275  ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW      2001
Mobile:  +61:(0)411-185-652
Fax:     +61:(0)2-8221-9599