Using linux gimp-2.3.12, Gentoo Linux ~x86. I have noticed in recent gimp
versions an odd behavior when doing rectangular selections, which I do
(and copy, paste) almost constantly when using Gimp.

I can't reproduce it right now, but somewhere in the mix of
fence-selection gestures (in all origin-size directions), select all/none
and copy-paste keystrokes, the unwanted 'expand from center' selection
behavior was turning on, frequently. I almost never use this option, and
have to go over to click the checkbox to turn it off when this glitch

Is there a configuration option to disable gimp from ever turning on
'expand from center' by any automatic or shortcut method, except if the
dialog checkbox is clicked?