Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 03:25:48 -0500
Subject: [Gimp-user] how to break down a photo into printing colors
    and    newsprint shading

Is there a way in GIMP to take any JPG image and have GIMP output
4 color seperated  images as individual CYGK or RGB or choosable colors?
I want to make a silk screen with a real complicated color image and I
thought it could be possible to
break down the photo into the silk screen inks and then make 4 different
ink screens with
emulsifiers by each color of the photo.
I find pallettes and tools and such but can not make any sense of how to
actually accomplish the task.
Also... what about shading.
Does gimp do newprint shading with dot densities?
Is there a technical name for this kind of shading where a black and
white image can appear
as shading by dot saturations and not actually by having shades of grey?
I'm real new at this so any information woul dbe greatly appreciated.

I think there is a CMYK plugin for GIMP.  May be that's what you need.
May be Filter/Distord/Newsprint is what you need for newsprint