I select a rose with the magic wand.  The selection looks good, but
there are a few leftover "inside islands" inside the rose, that are
still not selected.  I switch to the lasso, click on "add to selection",
and try to circle the "inside islands" to add them to the selection.
But instead of doing this, GIMP stubbornly insists on picking up and
moving the rose!  If I circle something *outside* the rose, it gets
added to the selection, as it is supposed to.

Why won't the lasso add the "inside islands" to the rose selection?  How
can I do this?  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?  I am running
GIMP 2.2 in WINXP home.