Ok, I made two plugins (available from the repository):

- colortemp: converts the color temperature of an image.  You can specify
the source temperature in K, or as the temperatue at which a black-body
color best matches the selected foreground color.

- whitebalance: converts the foreground color to either neutral gray, or to
a specified background color.  This is similar to grey-point, the difference
being that the color transformation can be performed in the linear, rather
than in the gamma-corrected, color space, and so may work better for
removing color casts.

I hope these can be useful to others!  I was certainly very much in need for
them, and I wonder why I was so lazy to learn script-fu only now (lack of
documentation? nah, cannot be it ;-).