Hello.  I've got a bunch of psd files that I need to convert to a
useable format; I don't have a photoshop application.  Gimp can't open
them, though it can save to the psd format and then reopen those files
that it has saved to the format.  I read that there a two different
types of psd formats, and that the newest one is a closed standard.
Perhaps the files I need to open are those newer formats.

What are my options?  Is their an extension to gimp that can open
these files?  Or is there some other tool that can convert them to a
standard image format.  They are just pictures.  I have no reason to
preserve layering and such.

Thanks
Chad