I would also think that it would be considerably better to have someone realize
that just because the GUI is different, doesn't mean that it lacks in
I personally welcome GIMP's toolset, as well as it's capability. Although I
have an older copy of Photoshop, which I spent about $650-$700 on (about 4
years ago), I find myself using GIMP a lot more than Photoshop.
One of the features that I most thoroughly enjoy is saving of a file. I can
simply save the file, by appending the appropriate filename extension. Then
GIMP handles the rest for me, and prompts me if necessary (example:
<somefilename>.jpg will prompt for what percentage of quality I want, in
addition to optimization, progressive, sub-sampling, saving EXIF data,
thumbnail, and a comment). I don't have to weed through a long list of file
types, although if I want to, that option is also available.

As Bill Lee mentioned, industry standards are merely a figments of some groups
desire to promote their product a decent amount of the time.

FWIW, I'm a primarily C/C++ programmer, and I've been back and forth between
Unix and Windows (college, then the "real world", and now another world).
Gaining the experience working with different platforms and their standards was
critical in realizing I should merely expect certain things when I do a "Save",
or "Save As", and not question the fact that someone thought it would be more
efficient to force me to choose a file type in addition to typing the extension
itself. I'm presently doing things on Unix with C/C++ and TCL/TK.
IMHO, having non-rigid teaching would have benefitted me much earlier in my

From: Bill Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>