On Thursday 21 December 2006 17:39, lists wrote:
> Brendan wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh my God, let's not start this again.  It's an acronym, get over it.
> >
> > Oh wait, Geoffrey says "Get over it". Everybody with an opinion or actual
> > relevent facts, forget it. Geoffrey said so.
>
> If you'll check the bloody archives, you'll see this same subject has
> been discussed ad nauseam more then once.  So, before you post, research
> the archives before wasting a bunch of bandwidth on a horse that's been
> beat to death.  Jerk.

Whether you like it or not, I suspect that the subject will keep coming up
because the name offends the sensibilities of a lot of potential users.

Now I know that the name is an acronym, and I don't believe those who chose
the name did so with any intent to offend, or even to be humourous. I suspect
they didn't think all that much about the name at all. For many handicapped
people, however calling one of them a "GIMP" is as offensive as calling a gay
person a "faggot".

Most of us who are now on the list will have seen the discussion wax and wane,
but in a month or two, someone else will come to the list and make the same
observation, and predictably someone will have the intolerance to tell them
to get over it, and that we've had the discussion.

I really do think we need to find a better, less offensive name for GIMP, and
the sooner the better, so that we can put energy into supporting it, and
doing whatever we can to extend it's use instead of periodically having this
disagreement.
--
Bob Smits Ladysmith BC Phone 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 Email [EMAIL
PROTECTED]